Thursday, July 31, 2014

What happened to July? - Harebrained ideas

There were a few of these that actually were put into action.  There are plenty more which have not yet been attempted. But I'll save those ideas for another time...
One of the harebrained ideas I've attempted before, re-pouring my candles. Last time I made my own wicks. They worked okay for the most part, but not terrifically. And they were tedious to make. This time I went to the craft store and bought proper wicks! Yeah - they are even worse. Now I have candles that simply do not work.  However, another harebrained idea has really paid off. I've been burning sandalwood incense along with the candles. I think that's what's really keeping the mosquitoes away.  I hope the neighbors don't mind the billowing sandalwood smoke. It could be worse, I could be burning cow dung...


The most harebrained idea was to try to save my vintage lamp.  I'd been to Fabric Row, which sadly is waning. Some of my favorite places are still there, but many have been replaced with up-cycle and various trendy vintage shops. They do have cool stuff, none of which I can afford, but ideas are free, right?

A few years ago I acquired this grimy vintage fan from an old printer. It worked fine for several years and then became a bit finicky, then finally it gave up the ghost.  I spied a spiffied up one in one of the vintage shops selling for $50! Okay - well how hard can it be to take this thing apart, clean it up, and put it back together again?

Ahmmmm, well, it's a lot cleaner than it was. However, it's still sitting on the table three weeks later...
There are a few websites to help, but I'm not sure I'll get it back together again.  I wanted to post about it though, just in case I do manage it. I'll be shouting like an excited crow! Any ideas?
If I'm successful it will look like this:


No comments: